I really enjoy making homemade protein and energy bars that are filled with wholesome ingredients that energize the body and help you feel satisfied between meals. Homemade bars are great to eat on the go and are a healthier choice to indulge in so you won’t be tempted to eat processed snack foods.
One of my favorite new blogs to read is Move Nourish Believe. We share a common bond on holistic ways to live your best life. When they approached me about doing a whole foods recipe on my site to share with all of you, I asked them for their energy bar recipe because it’s absolutely delicious and so easy to make! They also included a helpful infographic to help you create your own fabulous bar blends! This no-bake recipe is great to enjoy for a healthy snack in between meals or after a workout. I adjusted the recipe slightly by adding cinnamon and vanilla to customize it to my tastes.
Move Nourish Believe’s mission is to inspire women to live their best life through active living and their daily practice of Move, Nourish, Believe. Their blog has healthy recipes, exercise tips, and inspiration to help active women lead a better life. Make sure you stop by their blog and enjoy all the content being shared.
Here’s the post and recipe from Move, Nourish, Believe
Ever feel the pain of the 3.30 pm energy slump? Or do you generally just crave sweet treats in between or after each meal?
I get it.
That’s why it’s important to always have a nourishing, healthy treat ready so you won’t fall victim to those nasty energy slumps and cravings, which can lead you straight in the direction of making choices that may not be healthy.
I understand that time is of the essence, and that to make smart food choices, you have to be prepared. With this in mind, our energy bar recipe was created. This delicious bar is a sweet, satiating and refined sugar-free snack that acts as the ultimate energy source for the active person on the go.
Why will you love this energy bar?
- Healthy Fats/Protein: start with fresh raw nuts, to give your body a dose of healthy fats and protein, help you feel satiated, and curb those sugar cravings. If you use sprouted nuts they will make these bars even more nutritious and easier to digest.
- Natural Sweeteners: Dried unsulfured fruits, raw honey and bananas is a great way to pack a sweet punch, while still being extremely nutrient dense and beneficial for the body.
- Complex Carbohydrates: Rolled oats are great in unbaked raw energy bars to help the bars retain their shape as they soak up the fats from the nuts. Oats are also high in protein, fiber, and complex carbohydrates which are great to refuel and replenish your body after a workout.
MNB Chocolate Cranberry Oat Energy Bar
Vegan, Vegetarian, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free
Makes 12 bars Prep time 15 minutes
1 cup sprouted or raw almonds
1 cup organic rolled oats—gluten free*
½ cup raw cacao powder (Shelley’s favorite brand)
1 cup dried unsulfured cranberries
5 Medjool dates—pitted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
2 tbsp. boiling purified or spring water
1. Place almonds and oats in food processor and blend into a coarse crumb. Add cacao powder, cranberries, dates, vanilla extract, and cinnamon and blend again.
2. While blending add the boiling water, slowly, until the mixture becomes well incorporated and forms a ball.
3. Press the dough into a parchment paper lined baking pan and place in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours before slicing into bars.
*Use regular rolled oats if you can’t find organic, gluten-free oats in your area.
Be inspired to create your own food-based energy source. The best thing about making this recipe is you can get creative, and come up with your own favorite version. Here are a few handy hints to approach making your Energy Bar.
If you enjoyed this healthy recipe, check out Shelley’s new cookbook that’s packed with 154 tasty healing foods recipes and over 50 pages of holistic lifestyle tips for more energy and better immunity! Deliciously Holistic is available for sale on Amazon right now!
What is your favorite healthy energy bar combination? Please contribute to the conversation by leaving a comment below.
Share this recipe with family and friends and let’s all get healthy and radiant together!
Join our holistic community by signing up for our email updates, like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter , and pin with us on Pinterest to get all the latest healthy recipes, health tips, event notifications, and helpful information on increasing your energy, strength, and immunity with healing whole foods and holistic lifestyle solutions.